Formed in 1955 by a small group of people who shared their adoptive experiences, APC is the oldest adoptive parent group in North America. Today, we are more than 1,500 member families strong with four chapters: Long Island, New York City, New Jersey and the Connecticut/Hudson Region.
Adoptive Parents Committee serves to provide accurate, relevant adoption and parenting information and support to adoptive parents at all stages of the adoption journey.
At the heart of APC are our local chapters, which hold monthly meetings featuring guest speakers, panels and discussion groups to assist adoptive parents and address specific concerns. Both pre and post adoption workshops support families in every stage of the adoption process. Family events, including picnics and holiday parties, are held throughout the year.
Our annual conference, held in November of each year, serves to promote a better awareness and understanding of adoption and provide members with accurate information concerning adoption and parenting issues. Participants have the opportunity to attend numerous workshops, seminars, lectures and panel discussions led by professionals and experts in the field. To learn about our annual conference, click here.
- Advocates for humanitarian improvements in the adoption and foster care system.
- Is committed to educating the public, the media and its members about current adoption issues.
- Publishes ADOPTALK, a monthly newsletter.
- Assists members and legislators on matters of foster care and adoption through our The Legal Advisory Committee.
- Serves as a resource to the adoption community through our Adoption Awareness and Education Committee